Old January 19th 05, 12:27 AM
Eric Greenwell

Default Has a glider ever been found using the transponder radar track?

I'm wondering if a transponder-equipped glider would be an aid to search
and rescue people. I've heard that the radar tracks can be obtained from
ATC, but not if S&R people actually do that, and if it can be done in a
timely fashion (less than 24 hours, say).

What are people's experience with this use of transponders for location
of downed aircraft, especially gliders?

If their job isn't any harder than it would be searching for an
ELT-equipped glider, people with transponders could be exempted from
also installing an ELT; people with neither might decide the money is
better spent on installing a transponder.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA