Old December 22nd 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

Default LS3-A water bags

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:27:40 -0800, mmartin46 wrote:

I want to remove the water bags in my LS3-A and check them for leaks.
The only hole I see at the wingtip is a 3/8 hole located on the bottom
about 2 or three inches from the tip. How do I get the bag out without
ruining the ability to get it back in?

I have done this befo

1) Have a look at the manual. Also there is a works instruction from LS
on doing this. If possible get someone who has done it before to brief
you. Don't start before you know how it works inside.

2) There is a cord which goes from the end of the wingbag around a pulley
which is located inside the wing, near the tip, and back down the wing to
where it is tied, at the wing root. You need to untie this to get the bag
out, but as the bag comes out, the cord goes into the wing. If you let
the end of the cord disappear into the wing, you WILL need the services
of somebody with experience, ingenuity and skill of JJ to get the bag
back into the wing.

(The original cord, as installed by LS, is not long enough for the bag to
be removed without the end getting lost - so you have to extend it. Then
the joint between the original and the extension cord has to travel
around the pulley without getting jammed. All this is explained in the
manufacturers instructions).

3) There is a large diameter "nut" on the outlet pipe of the bag that you
have to loosen to get the bag out. You can only just get your hand into
the wing far enough to grip it and if it is tight you will never get
enough force on it to loosen it. We have a special tool that the previous
owner devised for loosening the nut.

Maybe you should join the LS owners forum on Yahoo groups. Many people
who have know how to do this are there.

Good Luck

Ian