Old May 3rd 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

Default USAF Phantoms on deck?

OBTW, the T-2A (Had the misfortune to fly iy in basic jet all the way through forms) had a J-34. Idle to Military in 17 seconds. YTou could smoke a cigarette in that amount of time.

Before entering A-6 type training, I was stashed in VT-7 in the final days of the T-2A's existence there. On a hot summer day (plenty of those at NAS Meridian, MS) if the single engine in the A didn't spool up to its 3400 equivalent mousefart in 16 seconds, SOP was to turn around and taxi back to the ramp. Otherwise you'd go nowhere but into the swamp that surrounded three of the four sides of NMM.

By contrast, the T-2B & C were "two-holers," with the C (which replaced the A at VT-7) having a pair of J-85 GE4s. The T-2C was a great little bird that one could also battery-start if needed on a cross-country.

I never flew in the T-2B so can't comment on it.

--
Mike Kanze

"The Internet is like one of those garbage dumps outside of Bombay. There are people, most unfortunately, crawling all over it, and maybe they find a bit of aluminum, or perhaps something they can sell. But mainly it's garbage."

- Joseph Weizenbaum (1923 - 2008), MIT computer science professor and inventor of ELIZA

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:59:27 -0500, "John Carrier"
wrote:

After the C, did USAF had bridle attach points? Were the landing gear identical in spec (IIRC, they were less robust on the E)? I think it's likely that the E had structure optimized for its mission and may no longer have been carrier suitable. USN J/S had fat tires too.

OBTW, the T-2A (Had the misfortune to fly iy in basic jet all the way through forms) had a J-34. Idle to Military in 17 seconds. YTou could smoke a cigarette in that amount of time. By comparison, I can remember a mishap board suggesting an F-4 ramp strike had as a contributing factor the "slower spool-up time" of the J79-10B (smokeless) versus the straight Dash-10. In my opinion, a J-79 had essentially instantaneous throttle response. But what do I know?

R / John

No bridle attachment points on C, D or E. As I recall (and I
occasionally...or maybe often...recall incorrectly), the E had fat
tires and the tell-tale wing bulge to house them. And, as far as I
know the C model had pretty much the same landing gear as the B.

I got to go for a ride in a J off of Forrestal in the Med and remember
being more impressed by the cat shot than the trap.

Sounds as though the T-2A had a similar situation to the T-37 with
it's J-69s--slow spool-up. But, of course like all AF aircraft the
Tweet was generously over-powered...

And, just like you, I share the opinion that the J-79, with or without
smoke, was virtually "power-on-demand". And gobs of it.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org