Old February 11th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
cpq_ltop

Default CH yoke gameport-to-USB conversion

The Virtual Pilot interface is analog game port, not serial.

And?
There is still a serial to USB converter that takes the older CH
pedals and even the analog joysticks.

What does serial have to do with it? That's digital; gameport is analog.
The Virtual Pilot yoke is gameport - which is analog.

So you're suggesting buying something to convert gameport, which is
discrete ANALOG, to serial, which is DIGITAL (RS232/EIA232),
so you can then use a serial-to-USB converter.
In other words, DB15 to DB9 to USB.
Even if you could manage to cobble the circuitry together to convert
the analog gameport pots/switches to serial, like with a PIC, then
level-shift to USB, you would still need drivers.

The only GAMEPORT-to-USB "adapters" I've seen are for certain
digital joysticks made by Logitech and Microsoft. They are in fact
only dongles, not adapters: they DO NOT contain any analog-to-digital
conversion circuitry but instead route the USB signal SUPPLIED by the
digital joystick, via spare pins in the gameport connector, to a USB
connector. I've got the 3 incarnations of these (black, yellow, and gray);
they all use the same 4 pins from the DB15 (1, 4, 10, 14) wired to the
USB connector, although the Logitech (black) is not wired exactly the
same; two lines are the same, two are reversed.

BTW, my old CH Products pedals were analog gameport, not serial.