Old February 22nd 18, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hero emulation

Scott - Did you finish the video(s) on how not to do high speed passes for SSF?
Thanks!
Best Regards, Dave

Most of the work I did for the SSF is available on their website

http://www.soaringsafety.org/

Under the links "FLIGHT TRAINING VIDEOS" and "FLIGHT SAFETY VIDEOS".

I worked with Rich Carlson and Bob Wander to produce 9 "FLIGHT SAFETY" videos each showing a situation that has been known to end badly. I also produced 1 "FLIGHT TRAINING" video demonstrating/describing "How to approach/land in a crosswind."

I remember you (Dave) contacting me, asking if Condor could be used to produce a video of a high-speed low pass gone wrong. I assured you it could, I remember doing the flying and recording a Condor Replay of a failed high-speed low pass (glider stalls and spins as it attempts the reversing turn after pulling up and losing airspeed), and I sort of remember getting back to you (Dave) with "what do you think about this?", but I don't remember the effort going any further than that. I remember the request as coming from you (Dave), not from the SSF, but you (Dave) had probably seen the other SSF videos and were suggesting that a LOW PASS GONE BAD video be adding to he mix.

I just searched my Condor folders and can't find any remnant of the Replay I claim above to have produced.

Producing these videos turns out to be quite a bit of work.
1) A perfect example of what is being demonstrated needs to be flown. This often takes dozens/scores of attempts.
2) The perfect example is stored as a Condor Replay
3) The Replay, or segments of it, need to be captured using video capture software, e.g. FRAPS to produce an actual video format, e.g. .wmv. A Condor Replay is not actually a video, it is a parameter file that Condor uses to generate video output internally. A Replay (.rpy) can only be played back using Condor)
4) The video captured by FRAPS then needs to be edited into the final product using software like Windows Movie Maker.

Anyone with a lot of time, the required software, and the requisite skills can produce a similar video. )

Scott Manley - 3167160CFI