Old May 21st 19, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tost Lilliput brake question

No idea if this is original or not but the brake cable setscrew in my Libelle is a flat tip style. I haven't had any issue with the cable getting cut but it does flatten out the cable such that it becomes difficult to reuse a second time should you ever remove it. I have a mid-cable adjuster in addition to the adjuster nuts on the wheel end and it seems to give plenty of adjustment to keep things working well.

Robert

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 12:49:01 PM UTC-5, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 8:28:19 AM UTC-4, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
I am trying to improve the brakes on a Libelle 201B. I replaced the shoes and de-glazed the drum recently but not much help.
I trued the drum on a mandrel in a 10" Clausing lathe. I mounted the backing plate and shoes on another mandrel, intending to true the shoes, but got readings that told me the shoes would have to be expanded.
I had no good way to do that without getting excessive clearance. So I just deglazed them.

After installation, I had to max-out the one adjuster in order to get the proper tension on the handbrake.
I noticed a threaded hole in the brake handle, centered on the cable. Looks like a setscrew belongs there for adjusting cable length.

So--here's my question-----What style of setscrew point belongs there? Flat tip, or dog point (extended tip). I presume a cup point would damage the cable.

Thanks in advance for any factual knowledge.

Hartley Falbaum
hfalbaum at comcast dot com

Good suggestion!

The Lilliput brake arm is really hard to change spline alignment due to the coil spring around the base.

But my question was about a possible set screw in the handle to adjust the brake. appears to be M6-1.0.
could be used to adjust cable length, but the screw is missing. The threaded hole is there. Does anyone know for sure about this?

Thanks