Old October 8th 03, 06:04 AM
Richard Riley

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:27:09 -0700, John Ousterhout
wrote:

:As another major contributor, I am shocked and bitterly disappointed
:that you didn't win. OTOH Jay Leno, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien
:and John Stewart are probably thrilled that Arnold is going to be
:Governor.
:
:I wonder how long before the CA citizens realize what they 've done to
:themselves and start another recall?

According to Bob Mulholland and Terry McAuliffe, they have $3 million
and will start gathering signatures tomorrow.

I doubt it's going to work. The laws been on the books since 1910 or
so, and there have been something like 60 attempts to recall gov's
that haven't gotten enough votes to get an election. Between Arnold
and McClintock, Republicans got 60% of the votes. Davis was the
perfect recallable candidate - he was widely hated by the office
holders in his own party, had no personal charm at all, was a complete
failure as a leader, was widely thought of as corrupt, and didn't rise
to the occasion of any problems the state faced.

At the very least, Arnold is likeable and isn't corrupt.

The REAL fun starts tomorrow, when Davis starts signing emergency
legislation. Any guess as to how big a pension he's going to give
himself and the current legislators?