Old December 13th 04, 05:57 PM
Paul Smedshammer

In article , zatatime wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:44:33 GMT,
(Paul Smedshammer) wrote:

A couple of folks have mentioned induction icing. Being a relatively new

pilot
to the Mooney and more specifically fuel injection, I wasn't aware that icing
was a big problem in the fuel injection engines. There is no "carb. heat" as
there is no carburetor. Maybe somebody can elaborate and educate me on icing
in the induction system and what you can do to avoid it.

Temps above the fog layer which I was 2,500 feet above were in the 60's so I
didn't figure icing could have been a factor.

I think this is the correct "guess." Induction icing can occur in the
60 degree range without a problem if you have the right conditions
(i.e. moisture, which you had alot of). In your original post you
stated you put on an alternate air source of some sort to bypass the
air filter. Check with your mechanic if this gives heated air to the
mixture. If so this is the equivalent of carb heat, and could be how
the problem resolved itself. If not, check to see how to provide warm
air to the induction system. Even if you've got to make a
modification (install something), it'll be worth it.

HTH.

The Mooney M20F and many of the other older models (pre 1976 and post 1965 I
think) have a Power Boost which is nothing more than an air filter bypass. It
allows air directly into the servo and in my case provides for about a 1-1/2
to 2" increase in manifold pressure. I only use it about 4 to 5000 feet AGL
and only in clear air. There isn't any way I know of to inject warm air like
carb heat to the air source.

For those interested, here is a link to a photo of what it looked like about
10 seconds before this event happened.

http://www.coreutilities.com/mooney/RoughEngine.JPG

I'm still thinking most likely it was water contamination but it could have
also been induction icing I guess.

Thanks,
Paul