Old January 4th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

Default Engine problem - Seneca II

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message

I would suspect that the turbocharger bearings are lightly coked up and
squeeze the shaft when they expand from heat. This can happen even with
proper operation and cool down.

This is what we have suspected as well, although it hasn't gotten any better
or worse in the last several years.

The first time it happened I was on a trip from the east coast out to
Colorado and had it looked at while I was in the Denver area. The mechanics
at the time suggested that coking might be the problem but that the only fix
was to replace the turbo to the tune of $900 plus labor.

I wonder if the bearings could be changed out as opposed to replacing the
entire turbo.

BDS