Old August 10th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Fuel transfer pump

"rmhou at yahoo.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to add an aux tank & transfer fuel to main tank with a pump
during flight. I think it makes fuel management easier if the pump
transfer close to the engine's burn rate, say 14 gph.

I also want the pump to pick up fuel from the top of the aux tank via
a tube to the bottom of the tank so no hole below fuel level is
necessary. Does that mean I need a "self-priming" pump?

What kind of pump should I get?
Name & model no.?

Oh, it should run on 12V.

Many thanks,

Robin

There is a certain amount of strategy in both designing and using auxilliary
fuel systems.

Also, I am confident that nearly everything that actually works, and a lot
of things that are problematic, are already well known. If you are only
tankering fuel due to a price differential, it is not too big a deal; but if
you actually need the fuel, then you need some real advice with some real
experience to back it up. I have also heard/read that you operated the
aircraft differently for that kind of flying.

With that in mind, I would strongly recommend that you ask around your local
airport(s) and talk to ferry pilots as well as to mechanics in whom they
express confidence.

Peter
Just my $0.02