Old August 10th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

Default Fuel transfer pump

rmhou at yahoo.com wrote:
I want to add an aux tank & transfer fuel to main tank with a pump
during flight. I think it makes fuel management easier if the pump
transfer close to the engine's burn rate, say 14 gph.

I also want the pump to pick up fuel from the top of the aux tank via
a tube to the bottom of the tank so no hole below fuel level is
necessary. Does that mean I need a "self-priming" pump?

What kind of pump should I get?
Name & model no.?

Oh, it should run on 12V.

Many thanks,

Robin

Dont make this more complicated than it has to be.

Fuel pumps work best when they are not SUCKING, but are already primed
and PUSH the fuel to its destination. Cars do this best with submerged
fuel pumps in the fuel tank. Next best is a pump below the low point of
the tank, with a gravity prime. This is more common with small GA
aircraft than the submerged pump approach. Think carefully before
setting up a situation that requires siphoning fuel with a suction. This
is a recipe for vapor lock.

As for fuel management, you may find a pump with your flow rate. You can
find stuff at automotive sites - Summit Racing, perhaps, but do the
job right with AN fittings and rubber-free hoses - teflon lined, etc.

What is possibly "easier" is to use a stopwatch and know the flow rate
of your tank. Having a timer on the tank pump can make this even less of
a hassle, and you can make it transfer, say... 10 gallons with every
button press (over time, of course)

Dave