Old August 20th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie[_2_]

Default Fuel transfer pump

rmhou at yahoo.com wrote:
I want to add an aux tank & transfer fuel to main tank with a pump
during flight. I think it makes fuel management easier if the pump
transfer close to the engine's burn rate, say 14 gph.

I also want the pump to pick up fuel from the top of the aux tank via
a tube to the bottom of the tank so no hole below fuel level is
necessary. Does that mean I need a "self-priming" pump?

What kind of pump should I get?
Name & model no.?

Oh, it should run on 12V.

Many thanks,

Robin

To directly address your question:

To achieve your goal, use a garden-variety Facet low pressure pump made
for carb engines. I'd probably order from Van's since I'm building an RV-7.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...duct=pump-carb

or go to vansaircraft.com & search for 'fuel pump'.

Install a restricter in the line from the pump to the main tank; size
the orifice by experiment to get the flow you desire. The pump won't
care about the restriction. Evidence: there are quite a few H-series
320's flying on low wing homebuilts with only 2 facet electric pumps
(orimary & backup) to supply fuel to the carb. If you mount the pump low
in the fuselage & reasonably close to the aux tank, it will self prime
just fine unless you're talking about a tank that's several feet tall.
(Seldom noticed fact: every 2 seat RV I've ever seen has the fuel line
above the 1/2 fuel point of the tanks. Look carefully at the fuel selector.)

Others have addressed some of the questions not asked. :-)

Charlie