Old January 13th 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default RG-58 thinet cable

Dear Robin,

Yeah, it would probably work for you, signal-wise. But I don't know
what you need with regard to weather and UV exposure -- some cables
are better than others and the only person qualified to say, is you.
But I can tell you that the outfit you've cited is kinda on the
expensive side. If you'll check the address below I think you'll find
their prices are a bit more reasonable.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...G58/U/-/1.html

Also, once you make your connection with a BNC connector, it's kind of
hard to add safety wire. So instead of wire (which can sometimes
puncture the braid and lead to problems) the usual procedure is to use
one of the sticky-tapes, which is also carried by All Electronics.
The trick is to over-lap your wrappings, starting well beyond the
metal fitting... give it an inch or so... then squeeze the tape down
good & tight. You'll end up with a water-proof junction that also
resists coming loose.

-R.S.Hoover
-KA6HZF