Old March 8th 05, 03:58 AM
Brad Zeigler

Default NDB & VOR

wrote in message
ups.com...
please send com. too
look under aopa
FAA releases final list of NDB approaches considered for cancellation
FAA needs to hear from pilots before April 4
The FAA has finalized the list of NDB approaches it is considering
canceling. Now it's up to pilots to let the agency know if any of these
approaches are still needed.

"The FAA is looking to cancel underused, redundant approach procedures,
not decommission NDBs," said Melissa Rudinger, AOPA vice president of
regulatory policy. "In almost all cases, the runway end is also served
by another ground-based navaid (VOR, LOC, or ILS) and a GPS approach."
(See "FAA to eliminate redundant instrument approaches.")

The revised list now includes 479 approaches under consideration for
cancellation. More on NDB approaches...

Call me perverse..I like NDB approaches. On the other hand, I understand
their days are numbered. My only concern is that there are plenty of planes
without approach certified IFR GPS that will be left without a backup if the
localizer goes kaput.

Also, it will be more difficult to teach NDB approaches if they're no longer
on the books.