Old April 27th 05, 02:35 PM
Chris Ehlbeck

I had the briefer tell me of skydiving operations ONCE while an "official"
student on my long cross country. I knew of the operations at the airport
and additionally had informed the briefer I was a student pilot. He went so
far as to advise I'd probably still be with Atlanta approach at that point
and should here the calls before jumpers. He was right. I heard them on
both approach and the airport's CTAF. I've flown the same route since but
didn't get the information. I think I got it the first time only because I
said I was a student and the briefer was being helpful. But Dave is right.
If there are authorized or recognized skydiving operations it's on the chart
and in the AFD. It's even still in the AFD for airports where the DZ has
been closed for several years!

But what happened at Deland seems to be an unfortunate accident. They
happen, sadly.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PP-ASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."

"Dave S" wrote in message
ink.net...
Once its on the chart, and in the green book, its no longer on the
NOTAM. Its not the briefers job. Its the pilots. IF you flight follow
and are on approach's frequency, you WILL hear "One minute to jumpers"
and "Jumpers away" for the applicable areas. The jump plane is required
to notify the responsible approach/center for the area at those times.

I am acutely aware of several active and former dropzones near me. Two
are at private fields, and the other two are on public airports.

Dave

Jay Honeck wrote:
Of course, FARs* require pilots to obtain _ALL_ available information
before flight. Given today's pop-up Temporary Flight Restrictions,

it

is even more important to check NOTAMs during the preflight briefing.
The FSS briefer or DUATS should have issued the NOTAM related to the
parachute activity. And if ATC is providing Radar Advisory Service,
the controller providing traffic advisories would have warned of the
hot drop zone.

Well, the FSS flight briefer I spoke with was located somewhere in
Northern Georgia, where we had gotten gas. He never mentioned anything
about skydiving activity.

And we used VFR flight following all the way. ATC never mentioned
anything about skydiving, either.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA