Old June 25th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default questions on multi-wing planforms

"pTooner" wrote:
My basic concept/question is like this. Assuming
optimum airfoil in each case which may well be different; I could
build a 20ft span 4 ft chord wing for 80sqft or two 20span 2 ft chord
or 4 10ft span 2 foot chord and they all equal the same area. What
would be their relative lift and drag numbers? (probably pretty
close) BUT would they have strange characteristics at odd angles of
attack? (That is a semi-rhetorical question)

Since a higher aspect ratio wing generally has a better lift/drag ratio,
increasing the effective wingspan would normally be a good thing - assuming
all other variables remain constant. But clearly wing gap interference
inserts an additional variable.

Another thing you might want to look into is the "multiplane" (I couldn't
remember the proper name for the concept in my first reply, otherwise I'd
have mentioned it earlier). The concept dates as far back as 1893! Horatio
Phillips designed (and did some short test flights) of what can only be
described as "Venetian blinds" wings. Here are some web sites, with some
background info and photos (some of the photos can be clicked on to get
larger images):

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...lips/Tech4.htm
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/phillips.html

Another nice photo of Phillips multiplane:
http://invention.psychology.msstate....ultiplane.jpeg

Lastly, you should consider getting a copy of "Simplified Aircraft Design
for Homebuilders" by Dan Raymer. (He has his own website:
http://www.aircraftdesign.com/)