Old May 20th 04, 08:31 PM
Stu & Kathy Fields

Yeah there is some funny vibrations in the Safari. The first is at 400
rotor rpm if you are on hard pack like concrete or pavement. It doesn't
show if you are on the grass. (I just changed the fuel tank bracing and this
vibration seems to have either disappeared or reduced greatly) The other is
if you overspeed the rotor a bunch..Like 525 rotor rpm when the red line is
500.(CHR has experimented with the rotor and at least one time oversped the
rotor to something like 550 and didn't get the vibration. Hopefully a mod
will be in the books soon) I developed a rotor speed alarm circuit which
provides a tone in the headset for both low and high rotor speeds; this has
solved the overspeed problem for me.
I also have a 2/rev that shows up at 1/2 tank fuel but is not there with
full fuel. This 2/rev isn't bad enough to stop flying, but it is aggravating
enough to stay on my list of problems.
The clinking at rotor engagement is not the overrunning clutch but the
centrifugal clutch. There are some techniques that minimze this. Actually,
I have a set of clutch shoes that did not clink. I haven't the foggiest why
these were different, but my starting procedure was to get the engine
running and then go off looking at gages and putting my helmet on leaving
the engine idling at 1,000. The clutch would engage itself smoothly and
everything would be fine. This isn't true with the present clutch shoes.
I know another guy that went from the Brantly to the R22 and he now has a
206A that he is rebuilding. $$$$
Stu Fields
"Murphy's law" wrote in message
om...
"Kathryn & Stuart Fields" wrote in message

I currently fly a Safari and have never had the flicker problem that I

had
in the Brantly. I do wear a helmet with a visor..

I thought I knew most of the Safari owners. Your moniker and e-mail

aren't
familiar... What happened to your Safari??

Stu Fields

I bought the Safari not knowing the unique vibration problem
Safari also have a clinking overruning clutch at runup
Big bubble rattle Safari was sold with 15% profit

"Murphy's law" wrote in message
om...
"Stu & Kathy Fields" wrote in message

One thing I noticed in the Brantly was that the rotor positioned so

close to
the bubble could and did cause a very annoying flicker with the sun

at
the
right angle. A hat with a bill would be a must.
I agree with on poster the Brantly I flew was relatively smooth. I

don't
think that they made the prettiest helo tho..More like a horizontal

ice
cream cone. I remember a story Ken Brock told me about running out

of
power
with a passenger at a density altitude of about 3,500 but he was on

pinnacle and didn't have all the ground effect he would have liked..

For my
money, if I was located at a place where the density altitude rarely

got
above 4,000, I would consider the Brantly because it was so easy to

fly.

In any bubble type plexi cabin a some kind of sunvisor is a must to
block sunglare
I had a Rotorway Exec 90, a Safari, have an R22, a Brantly B2, so I
know the difference
The Brantly is kid'a funny looking, but the beauty is in the eye of
the beholder
As the matter of fact, the cone shaped fuselage is an airstream
stabilizer
The flying characteristics must be the main concern in any aircraft

Stu Fields Safari Driver.
"Murphy's law" wrote in message
om...
(Davdirect) wrote in message

I agree with you about watching the tip path, being careful,

approaching from
the right place,etc. however to untrained passengers I could

see
where
this
could be a problem, thats all.
Dave
davdirect

The PIC is always responsible for the safety of passengers & the

safe
operation of the rotorcraft.
Placard in Brantly : ROTOR MUST BE STOPPED WHILE LOADING AND

UNLOADING
PASSENGERS
Even so tip path plane is over 6 feet high, that's all folks