Old April 4th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Nathan Young

Default Need PIREP Ohio's Burke Lakefront (KBKL)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:34:44 -0700 (PDT), Randy
wrote:

Folks:

I've got to take a trip to BKL on Sunday...does anyone know how the
routing normally works for an IFR arrival in a 172 from the south? Or
any other things to be on the lookout for?

thanks

Yes. BKL is cool airport. I liken it to what Meigs used to be.

If you get to land towards the East (and assuming the weather is ok)
check out the Browns stadium as you land. Good time to have a camera
onhand.

I also seem to remember a tall mast of a ship parked near the approach
end of the runway. I tend to be a bit skittish about clearance
distances when landing over objects. (what I think is a few feet is
more like 50). Regardless, pay special attention to the VASIs or ILS
as you are nearing the airport.

Hornblowers restaurant is located just off the SW corner of the field.
A good place to eat if you are looking for a quick bite while
refueling. The FBO will give you a lift down there, but one could
certainly walk.

The city of Cleveland will track you down via N-number and send a
$5.00 landing fee via USPS. Bizarre. I have landed at BKL about 5-6
times and I think most (but maybe not all?) received the fee a week or
two later. The fee doesn't bother me, but I am confused why the FBO
does not collect the fee. Whatever.

I always have approached from the East or West, so cannot comment on
the routing from the South, although I suspect they will send you
around the Class B.

I have departed IFR a few times from BKL, and ATC vectored me at a
low-ish altitude pretty far North over Erie. If that makes you
uncomfortable, it would be a good idea to put a 'no overwater' remark,
or be prepared to refuse the clearance.

-Nathan