Old January 20th 13, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Edited cockpit video of COMPLETE TASK at 2012 Region 4 NorthContest (Mid Atlantic Soaring Association)

Mike,

I was flying using manual navigation (goto turn point). This method gives you actual distance to the turn point. So .85 is .85.

Near the end of the task I needed to quickly program in a task from where I was to Mason Dixon and then to the finish. The need was see my final glide situation. So I programmed in a quick task.

Problem was that the task used the default 1 mile turn radius so its calculating the distance to the 1 mile radius, not the center! So when I turned thinking I was .85, I was actually 1.85!

Leo (scorer) caught this and we looked at the penalty and it was significant (100+ points I think). I was bummed but short of that mistake I knew I flew a good task albeit very conservative and cautious.

Sean
F2