Old May 18th 04, 11:09 PM
Dave S

Ross and ET..

Where do you guys call home base? I wouldnt mind trying to catch up with
"local" guys from time to time. Either one of you heard of the Gulf
Coast Wings Weekend? Its comin up June 4 and 5.

http://www.gulfwings.org/

Dave
replace nospam with earthlink

Ross Richardson wrote:
I must admit that that was a good description of the event. I was one of
the volunteers of Operation Thirst, providing water to all the other
volunteers. I took a break on Saturday morning and stationed myself at
the 35 approach end around 10:00AM. I had my handheld with me. I will
say the controllers did do a remarkable job for the couple of hours that
most of the arrivals were taking place. I was going to fly in on
Thursday, but TS stopped that and I had to be there on Thursday. I too
saw the fuel truck in the mud. What a mess. New Braunfels is really
behind the event, much more that Abliene ever was. We attended there for
4 years. We ate at the Grismill twice and Oma's Haus once. My wife and I
spent several days in Gruene at the Gruene Mountain Inn. Nice place

Ross

ET wrote:

Dave S wrote in news:AIQpc.2915$SZ4.1699
:

We got to see two cherokee's do a mating dance on short final to 35 and
held our breath for a moment. One was behind, low and close in trail,
doing s-turns to spread it out. The one in the front was steadily
descending and crowding the one in front of it. Unfortunately I didnt
have my radio with me to hear what was being said, but the guy in the
back slipped hard and put it on the numbers and threw the brakes on. The
higher, leading plane landed halfway down the first half of the runway.
I am unsure if he was supposed to land long or what happened. I still
dont know why a go-around didnt happen. I am estimating separation
laterally got as low as 100 feet.

lots of good stuff snipped

Wow I was there, and saw those cherokee's as well. I swear the left
wingtip of the following bird was barely a foot off the ground as he
appeared to vear right to avoid the bird in front. I believe they were
told to land one short and one long, but obviously the one landing long
thought that 100 feet from the numbers was long enough.....

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams