Old April 5th 04, 01:33 AM
raymond o'hara

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
om...
"Eystein Roll Aarseth" wrote \

Well, I'm certainly not a latin linguist, but a web search helped
a bit: I found URL:http://www.ancts.org/resources/chadwick/

[Snip]

My last serious encounter with Latin was around the time Gagarin
was in orbit, but I've found another couple of possibilities
for the "Classis Caece" part:

From http://www.bible-history.com/latin/latin_c.html

caeco -are, to make blind or dark.

caecus -a -um: act., blind, not seeing; intellectually or
morally blind; uncertain, objectless; pass., unseen, hidden,
obscure, dark.

classis -is, f. a group as summoned, a division, class.
(1) one of the classes into which Servius Tullius divided the
Roman people.
(2) the armed forces, esp. the fleet.
(3) in gen., a class, group.

There is also one assertion in a Usenet discussion that,

"A classis means 'a call to arms'; The above (KLASIS) is
Doric of the Attic KLHSIS (the calling)"

So "a hidden call to arms" or "an unseen fleet" or both ???????
If so, it suggests some WWMCCS/GCCS-like function.

Note that the three little spooks have their mouths open,
as if they're calling out something. EEEWWWOOO, maybe. :-)

maybe it's a stleath bomber/ fighter squadron patch