Old May 12th 04, 02:51 AM
John Clonts

Excuse me?

"Bill Gamelson" wrote in message
m...
666

Get going!

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
A few weeks ago I posted about busting my IFR checkride. Well yesterday
I finally got it finished up. Here is a recap of what transpired in both
checkrides. First I'll reiterate that not only was I this DE's first
IFR student, we also had the FAA examiner with us giving him a

"checkride".

The oral portion portion lasted almost 3 hours and I was pretty wiped
after that. We discussed everything under the sun:
Lots on weather and how to obtain all the info needed. I didn't realize
that DUAT and FSS are the only "official" places to get this info.
Lost COMM procedures
Emergency procedures
DP's and STARS
Terminal Procedures for all types of approaches
Aircraft systems - COMM, VOR, audio panel, autopilot, GPS, pitot static,
electrical, vacuum
Systems maintenence - VOR checks, Pitot static, ELT, Altimiter checks,

ect.
Many scenarios on how to fly different approaches
Alternate airports - when to file, weather at alternate ect.
Fuel minimums
aero medical issues - hypoxia, medications ect.
much more that has slipped my mind.

We broke for lunch and when we came back the weather was bad so we
rescheduled for the next day.

As planned we started the flight portion. This included:
Accepting a clearance to an already discussed airport.
Took off and entered controlled airspace at an assigned heading.
Intercepted and airway and was cleared to hold at an intercection. This
is the point where I screwed up. I got ouside of protected airspace and
failed that portion. I decided to continue with the reset of the test.
This consisted of steep turns to the left and right. Unusual attitude
recorvery was next. This was very interesting because the DE he had me
get into the unusual attiutude. He did this by having me close my eyes
adn put my chin against my chest. He then had me maintain straight and
level flight. Then a turn to the left. Then back to the right. Then back
to the left again. OK open your eyes. I have managed to get the aircraft
into a diving spiral to the left. The airspeed indicator was nearing
the end of the yellow and I've never seen the Vertical Speed buried
down. I recovered OK but I must say I was a little bit shaken up. The
DE commented that "well maybe I did let it go a little far but I wanted
to demonstrate what could happen to you if you were alone in IMC and you
bent down to get you pencil or otherwise was not paying atention".
After that we did times compass turnes. Then we flew a partial panel
VOR-A approach to missed. Then the guages were uncovered and we flew a
GPS approach back to the home airport. Then we circled around and called
up Approach to get "real" vectors to the the ILS at the home airport and
finish it up with a circle to land to "home".

I knew that I busted the holding pattern so I was bummed about that.
Yesterday I finally got back on the DE's schedule and we went and did a
couple of holds and came back. Done. Finally !!! I hope to fly every
week to stay current. Thanks for all of your support. This NG is a very
valuable tool.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA