Old June 2nd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Speaking of Vision -- How 'bout Progressive Bifocals?

"Jay Beckman" wrote

I have reading glasses (now mandated by my medical...) that have
relatively small frames and are very light in weight. When I need them, I
simply put them on over my sunglasses and just slip them down my nose to
where I look over them to scan outside and can just glance down to read
something.

I remember seeing some flexible plastic lenses (on a link from someone on
rec.aviation. something) that you trim to the size you need, and stick them
on your sunglasses, regular glasses, safety glasses, or whatever you want
to.

That would be a good thing, to find out what size of close in lens you need
to have, for the best results.

I have line bifocals, and I would not want to consider anything else. The
thing is, you get to choose where the line goes on the glasses, as to how
far up on the lens the transition is placed. I also have the auto darkening
kind, and love them. I always have my sunglasses when I need them.

I have my line pretty far down, since as a carpenter, I want to have my far
vision to be in effect without looking down, so I can see what I am walking
on while up high in the air on a beam or floor joist. There is a trade-off,
since if you get it too low, and too small, you really have to tilt your
head back very far to read a display, or read a book.

Bottom line? Personal preferences. Try some, and if you don't like it, try
the others. It's only money! g
--
Jim in NC