Old October 20th 05, 10:43 PM
Jonathan Goodish

Default Garmin 396 Glitch??

In article .com,
"Jeff B" wrote:
Has anyone experienced significant "loss of signal" hiccups with their
new 396?? Since getting ours a few months ago, we have had
several...some lasting 15-20 minutes. System shutdowns/start ups may
or may not re-initialize it. THe antenna is unobstructed and in plain
view of the sky. An older Garmin is still in our plane and works fine
so its not some GPS system glitch.

I've been using the 396 for almost 2 months, and I haven't had a loss of
GPS signal in flight EXCEPT when I was using the "stick" GPS antenna on
the unit. Since I switched to the external patch antenna, I've had no
problems. However, I have continuously updated the software, so I would
recommend that you update to the latest software (v2.60) and try again.

I seem to recall that the 296 had a similar issue when it was new, and
that successive software updates eventually fixed it. I would be
surprised if that same issue exists in the 396 with current software.

JKG