Old September 28th 04, 02:03 PM
Bob Moore

Chris W wrote

Marco Rispoli wrote:
Best case scenario: a plane with a full automated autloand system
(Cat IIIb I think it's called)

Unless things have changed in recent years, there are very few runways
that are equipped with a Cat IIIb ILS.

NOT required!
At least in the Boeing jetliners that I flew at PanAm. You are
confusing "Approach Categories" with "Autoland". In the B-727,
the autoland system functioned quite well from a CAT II ILS.
Our B-727 minimums were CAT II and if we saw any of the Part 91
"things" at or above minimums, we could just leave the autoland
engaged to touchdown.
Autoland IS required for CAT IIIb approaches but in my experience,
was optional for CAT II operations.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)