Old February 27th 05, 03:22 PM
KP

wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:28:05 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

Is it true that a controller may not issue an instruction to a pilot
that
would require the pilot to violate a rule of the FAR?

No. Pilots are required to abide by the FARs and controllers are required
to abide by FAA Order 7110.65.

So the answer to he question is realy "yes"?

No, the answer is really "No"

A controller may have no way of knowing if an instruction would "require" a
pilot to violate an FAR.

There are several specific instances in the .65 where it takes pains to note
that pilots adhere to FARs first and ATC second. Vectors and altitude
assignments to VFR aircraft are some that come to mind. The notes aren't
there to tell controllers not to issue the instructions; it's there to tell
controllers the pilot may not be able to comply.

I follow the .65 when I tell you where to take your airplane. It's up to
you to follow the FARs and tell me if you "can't get there from here."