Old January 9th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Stop Making Sense

Bob Noel wrote:

What is the utlity of the extra margin you get from the ability
to handle lower weather conditions that a non-IFR-rated
pilot?

Imagine a VFR pilot (like Jay H.) not changing his weather
minimums (e.g., VMC only). Would he be safer with an
IFR rating?

Yes.

1. He would get better service from ATC when he files. Watching him
would not be optional, as it is with a pilot on VFR flight following.
yes, he's still responsible for separating himself from VFR traffic in
VMC, but ATC is watching him better than they do VFR traffic.

2. If nothing else, IFR training teaches you to be a much more precise
pilot.

3. Studies show that pilots who get advanced training are safter than
those who do not. Even if the utility is otherwise doubtful, this book
makes that case very strongly and encouraged me to finish my instrument
ticket when I was doubting the value of it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...books&v=glance