Old November 17th 12, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn

Default On Seeing, on Flying, and on Cataracts

On 11/16/2012 11:41 PM, sambodidley wrote:
Been there, done that. Got back to 20/20 just like you did. Then about 5
years later got hit with Macular Degeneration. Now I'm down to 20/200

So sorry to hear that! My father (still kicking at 94) took that same
path. The same can happen to me or any of us. Our only defense is an
annual retina exam so to catch the disease and start treatment as soon
as possible. (Find a cautious & conservative optomologist though, and
don't be shy about second opinions. I suspect my father was over-treated.)

If/when my vision again deteriorates below my personal minimums, I don't
necessarily intend to stop flying. I will just drop my renter's
insurance. From that day on my PIC will always be a young sharp-eyed
CFI from my flight school. They need the business anyhow!