Old November 30th 15, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Is FLARM helpful?

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 1:00:06 PM UTC-8, James Metcalfe wrote:
At 16:45 29 November 2015, jfitch wrote:
A diametrically opposed false alarm in a thermal suggests wind in

the 30 - 60 knot range. I have not seen good thermal development
in those
conditions, even in extremely strong western desert conditions. I

have flown in
gaggles of 10 - 15 gliders near the same altitude in the same

thermal and have
never had such a false alarm.

Sigh! You have combined two unrelated things that I have
mentioned:
(1) having "collision warnings about a glider opposite me in the
thermal"
(2) "Flarm direction is often significantly different from the true
direction (occasionally diametrically opposite), as it is track-based,
not heading-based"

Pay attention at the back!
J.

It seemed as though (2) was being offered as an explanation for (1). If not because of the difference between track and heading, then why? I am still curious why you get these and I don't (nor anyone else I know), and never have, aren't you? Perhaps we can learn something here. My experience is all with PowerFlarm, different algorithm? Better GPS? All the warnings I have ever gotten in thermals where someone right ahead or right behind, or turning the other direction.