Old October 30th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dennis Johnson

Default Lancair Legacy Design Flaw?

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
http://www.youngeagles.org/photos/gallery/Monoplanes/LancairLegacy2000.jpg

Look at the picture. It's easy to see why the Lancair is dangerous. The
horizontal stabilizers appear to be on the too small side. This would
result in their stalling before the wing. Then the aircraft would pitch up
making the main wing stall. Ill-conceived, IMO.

I find your strange posting to be quite offensive in its serious charges
which are totally unfounded. As others have already pointed out, you are
fundamentally incorrect about the purpose of the horizontal stabilizer. The
horizontal tail holds the nose up, not down. Your assertion about the
Legacy's stall recovery just makes no sense at all.

By the way, the Lancair Legacy is the most fun civilian airplane I've flown
and is the main reason I returned to general aviation after a decades-long
absence. I'm sure there is a Legacy near you and I'll bet its pilot would
be happy to take you for a ride. You can see for yourself what a great
airplane it is.

Dennis