Old June 9th 15, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GLDRPLT

Default Hobbs, NM

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 10:59:15 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
All of the above are true. Part of it depends on are you there flying on your own or part of a contest? On your own you decide when and where to fly, at a contest you fly when and where the task is.

I have flown at Hobbs twice, my first nationals around 1993 in a Std Cirrus and in 2013 about my 10th nationals in 15m.

I have gotten low in the west where I wish I wasn't. In 2013 we had a task that took us to the west on a day that was weaker than forecast. I was looking up focused on finding a cloud that would work before I realized how far I had gone from good fields. I shifted gears quickly and took anything going up to move back to the east. I remember looking down trying to decide where I would land if I had to only to see a two place open class glider much lower. Situational awareness is critical in the western portion of the area.

On the other hand I have flown some of the most amazing cloud streets I have ever seen there. Running at 120 knots with 1000 foot pull ups into 10 knot thermals.

As long as you treat Hobbs with respect it is a great place to fly. Fly in the west only when you have the altitude and conditions to reach airports or good fields and set you personal limits for when it is time to be on the ground if storms OD in the afternoon.

TT

thanks!