Old September 6th 05, 02:58 AM
cjcampbell

navghtivs wrote:
I have flown it 6~7 times now, and still find starting the engine of
new Cessna 172S quite tricky, and often I have to try two or three
times to start it. I never had problem in older C172s.

So what's the trick, guys? How much throttle (1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 inch) do
you open? How fast do you advance the mixture when the engine starts to
fire? Anthing else?

Thanks

I prime it per the manual, then start it with the throttle closed. If
it does not start immediately, I crack the throttle ever so slightly,
leave the fuel pump on, and start it. If the engine tries to die after
starting, I leave the fuel pump on until it warms up. Pretty much all
of this can be found in the manual.

Most people who have trouble starting C172s have tried to learn to
start the airplane by using the checklist without first gaining a
thorough understanding of what the manual says. There are way too many
instructors who fall into that category.