Old June 2nd 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default ASW-20 spins

In no glider I am familiar with, do spin recovery instructions include holding the stick "full forward". That's the potentially fatal error (not convinced this is a discussion based on things that really happened, but....)

In most modern gliders the drill is some version of 1) opposite rudder (& select neutral or negative flap setting in some types) until rotation ceases, 2) completely relax all back pressure on stick, possibly adding a little forward movement to break the stall, 3) recover from the resulting dive. Unless a home built, there's a POH. It's usually a good place to start!

FWIW, my 20B is delightfully well behaved with modern winglets. A little less so with factory tips if the CG is near aft limit. The POH recommended procedures work just fine.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:59:03 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
If I am in a spin, I will do as taught and practiced, opposite rudder, stick forward, that is the proper spin recovery. Would you care to share your complete thought?

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 4:41:08 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:

Well, that's not the correct recovery techniques in *any* glider, is it?

-Evan Ludeman / T8