Old June 2nd 15, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ASW-20 spins

Not a glider but, as the T-33a transitioned from a tail slide to an end
over end tumble, I applied the Dash One out of control procedu

Throttle - Idle
Ailerons and Rudder - Neutral
Stick - Full Aft

The aircraft shook and shuddered and transitioned into an inverted
spin. The flight manual made no distinction between upright and
inverted spins so I continued the above procedure into the spin recovery
procedu

Rudder - Opposite spin direction (look at the slip ball, not the trees,
and keep the rudder against the spin)

The aircraft transitioned into an erect spin (this I could handle!)

Stick - Forward and neutralize rudder when the spin stops and recover
from the dive. Watch out for that nasty secondary stall, the trees are
getting closer!

It's all about applying the correct controls for the situation and
feeling the aircraft. Each aircraft has its quirks. If you're
adventurous you should learn yours unless your flight manual prohibits
such maneuvers. My LS-6 would roll over the top in a final turn stall,
my LAK-17a is much more benign.

On 6/2/2015 8:16 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
In no glider I am familiar with, do spin recovery instructions include holding the stick "full forward". That's the potentially fatal error (not convinced this is a discussion based on things that really happened, but....)

In most modern gliders the drill is some version of 1) opposite rudder (& select neutral or negative flap setting in some types) until rotation ceases, 2) completely relax all back pressure on stick, possibly adding a little forward movement to break the stall, 3) recover from the resulting dive. Unless a home built, there's a POH. It's usually a good place to start!

FWIW, my 20B is delightfully well behaved with modern winglets. A little less so with factory tips if the CG is near aft limit. The POH recommended procedures work just fine.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:59:03 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
If I am in a spin, I will do as taught and practiced, opposite rudder, stick forward, that is the proper spin recovery. Would you care to share your complete thought?

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 4:41:08 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
Well, that's not the correct recovery techniques in *any* glider, is it?

-Evan Ludeman / T8

--
Dan Marotta