Old July 3rd 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Byrer

Default Hook up an mini headset to a Vertex Standard VX150 or 210 radio

I bought one, but in spite of it having the correct 1 plug connection
specified for a Yaesu radio, all I can do is hear the
radio, the PTT does not work.

I called in at a ham Radio ouotlet and they mumbled something about
microphone/headset impedances being diffecent for their aviation vs.
non-aviation equipment, but I wasn't convinced.

The impedance thing is actually true...Had similar problem using an
ICOM "non-aviation" Speaker-mic for an aviation HT...Worked
mechanically but weak TX/RX audio. Hated to cough up twice as much
for an aviation spkr/mic, but it worked great!

I suspect the plug may not be 'deep enough' either. Those use the
screw-in plug?

Maybe use the aviation headset adapter with the Vertex with a
lightweight aviation headset? Nice but more $$ tho...

see the ones at the bottom of page:
http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/TELEX.HTM

--Don
Glider flyer wannabe...maybe next year!

Don Byrer
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Amateur Radio KJ5KB
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."