Old January 5th 04, 03:27 AM
Michael Williamson

Aviation wrote:
My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
wires.)

..
..
Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

No- neither the F-14, F-15, or F-16 can land vertically,
although arresting gear can make the landing roll fairly short.

Mike