Old January 5th 04, 05:28 AM
Yofuri

There's not a prayer of an F-14, -15 or -16 landing intact vertically. That
leaves the AV-8 and (sometimes) the V-22.

http://pma275.navair.navy.mil/

Rick

--
My real e-mail address is:

"Aviation" wrote in message
u...
My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
wires.)

Maybe a really skillful pilot can slow down and stall an F-14 a
few feet off the ground and 'drop it' without destroying it making
it LOOK like a VL in a movie or photograph?

(Just in case, he might have meant F-15 or F-16: same question,
though.)

As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
elsewhere?

I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
Marines and Royal Navy).

Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

Thank you for your help.

--
Sent by xanadoof from yahoo piece of com