Old April 19th 05, 07:56 AM
Highflyer

"jeremiah johnson" wrote in message
news:Q9H8e.25550$Bb3.6735@attbi_s22...
awesome story.

I wish I could get my license. I wish I could start training, even. I
make $50k+ per year and I still can't afford it... so keep me going with
more stories like this.

jeremiah

I won't say anything jeremiah. My income is considerably less than $50k+
per year. However, I did learn to fly and currently own eight airplanes.
Admittedly only one of the eight is currently in flying condition, but I AM
working on getting a few more flying as I can afford to buy the parts and
materials.

I was up flying the other day though in the one that is flying. It is also
a Gull wing Stinson Reliant, although it is a bit newer than Paul's. :-)
Mine was built in 1942 for the Army Air Corps to use as an advanced trainer.
Then the US decided they didn't need those particular advanced trainers and
lend-leased them all to Britain. It flew over to Britain in 1943 on its own
wings.

Mary and I were in Bangor, Wales downing a few pints at a local pub and I
got talking to the gent next to me at the bar. Of course, me being who I
am, the conversation turned to aircraft and flying. The gentleman mentioned
that he had been a flight instructor in the RAF during the war. Of course I
asked him what he instructed in. I expected Tiger Moths, or Provosts or
something like that. Imagine my shock and pleasure when he replied "Stinson
Reliants."

Of course I responded to that with "Do you know, I own THREE Stinson
Reliants that ALL flew for the British in WWII!"

Anyway, I chugged around the countryside at a leisurely 100 knots in luxury
in my elderly but roomy airplane, fondly referred to on the news groups as
"The Red Lady."

She makes her home at Pinckneyville, Illinois ( PJY ) which is the home of
the annual rec.aviation flyin. This year the flyin is being held May 20,
21, and 22. I usually try to give everyone who wants a ride in the Red Lady
a chance to ride in it and take the controls for a while. Sometimes the
weather doesn't cooperate, and sometimes the Lady herself gets cranky and
won't cooperate, but usually we all get to fly around a bit during the
flyin. It is a flyin where we fly all day and talk about flying all night!
You don't need a lot of money but extra stamina is very useful.

If anyone wants to join the crowd at Pinckneyville for the flyin please drop
us an email at to let us know you are coming so we can be
sure not to run out of groceries. :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )