Old January 4th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default GPS396 terrain warnings near airports

Dave Butler wrote:

- with the beta version of the fix, no terrain warnings when landing except
during one circling approach at TTA. I haven't had a chance to try this again
with the 2.80 software, but I assume it's the same code.

Very interesting. The one time I got them was when doing a standard
VFR pattern to rwy 21 at TTA, which would approximate a circling
approach. Is that the runway you were circling to? Except for that
one time I've never had a terrain warning while approaching an airport
with the GPS396. (but that was also the only time I landed when I had
a flight plan that wasn't to the airport I landed at -- maybe that's
the cause or maybe there's just something funny with TTA rwy 21?)