Old January 15th 04, 04:56 AM
BTIZ

get involved with a CAP Wing/Squadron that has gliders.. lots more fun.. and
you get the CFI-G add on is not that difficult..

but for any CAP unit.. make sure they have an airplane assigned to them.
Mostly C-182s.. as a CFI they'll probably make you a check pilot. Meetings
twice a month, at least one safety meeting at one of those. Learning to do
Search and Rescue Grids.. and new requirements coming down under
HomeLandSecurity..

BT

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...
"BoDEAN" wrote in message
news
Any pilots / CFI's a member of this?
Your input would be appreciated on your experiences, and if it's
worthwhile for a current CFI to join.

I'm a member. Your experience in USAFA-CAP will vary depending on the
Squadron/Group/Wing you are in. There is a lot going for the organization
that is beyond the Search and Rescue aspect. You might find it

interesting
to teach cadets aerospace topics, you will certainly meet many interesting
and good aviation-minded people, and you will certainly learn a lot. Or,
like me, you will know that you are a part of an organization that can do
some good and help out if we are attacked again or there is a natural
disaster.

To a large part, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

Like another poster said, find local squadrons, attend some meetings, and
meet the people. Then if you like what you see, join up for a year, dig

in,
and then decide for yourself.

Peter