Old January 15th 04, 11:27 AM
Roger Long

Take a very close and skeptical look at the maintenance of the aircraft.
There are some Wings that do an excellent job but the organization as a
whole gives about zero guidance to local units on maintenance. Get the
wrong person overseeing the aircraft and it can be a horror show. They make
a big deal out of the Air Force inspections but what do those guys know
about GA aircraft and AD's? In the day or two they spend at a unit they are
pretty busy making sure that things like the uniform dress code are properly
posted on the bulletin board.

I joined and became a maintenance officer. I found:

Missing ELT antenna (after an annual inspection)
POH with performance data for wrong engine
Static wicks missing from balanced control surfaces
AD's not complied with
Instruments with improper markings
Different weight and balance depending on where you looked (and these planes
are usually flown close to gross)
etc., etc.

I reported this stuff to my CO. He said we had to tell the pilots
immediately and reported to his CO.

Wing rushed in, assured the pilots that "after extensive discussions with
the FAA" no problems were found and the aircraft were fully airworthy. Then
they put the planes in the shop, spent a lot of money, and forced me out of
my job. I resigned.

If you have a high tolerance for this sort of thing, you will love CAP. It
is an important mission, a chance to do interesting and challenging things
with dedicated people. I wish I could still be in it but I'm just too picky
when it comes to matters of aircraft maintenance and integrity.

--
Roger Long

BoDEAN wrote in message
news
Any pilots / CFI's a member of this?
Your input would be appreciated on your experiences, and if it's
worthwhile for a current CFI to join.