Old June 6th 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PowerFLARM USB 3 cables and ConnectMe to PowerFLARM through V7

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:23:49 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Morteza,

I hear what you are saying, but it sounds like you haven't even tried using

a USB Flash Drive to transfer files from the PowerFLARM. If you try it, you

may find that it is so extremely easy and fast that you'll be very happy

with it. Even if you have dozens and dozens of flight logs in the

PowerFLARM memory, the data transfer only takes 5 seconds. USB Flash Drives

can easily store the small amount of data hundreds of flight logs. I don't

think the PowerFLARM re-copies files that are already on the USB Flash

Drive.

The first time I transferred flight logs from a ClearNav or LX9000 using a

USB Flash Drive or SD memory card I was blown away by how fast and easy it

was. I was very happy not to need to wait 5 minutes for the data transfer

over the serial port. I have recently transferred many flight logs off

PowerFLARM units and find it very fast and easy.

I also hope that FLARM will add the ability to download flight logs over the

serial port in the near future.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Morteza Ansari" wrote in message

Thanks Paul for the additional information. To be honest the whole model of

how PowerFlarm handles logfile copying seems at best to be a hack! As such

the next best alternate solution would be to let Oudie handle it. As of

right now I don't have the USB port brought to the front of my panel and

given how the USB stick copying of log files work, I really would prefer not

to do that. I want to have some level of control (like every other device!)

on what files get copied and when they get copied rather than plug the USB

stick, power cycle and get ALL the logs...

Given that, I would really want to get either FlarmView or the Oudie to

handle this with the right interface. And yes, that would mean using the

serial port to transfer a file, but at the high baud rates on the line and

given you typically transfer a single file, it shouldn't be too bad.

Certainly much better than the alternate (IMO)!

I hope the PowerFlarm folks are listening and add the missing feature soon.

It has been frustrating at times to be on the bleeding edge and waiting for

things to get to working state...

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:25:01 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi Morteza,

The problem isn't with the Oudie. As stated below, it is that the

PowerFLARM doesn't yet support fight log downloads through the serial

port.

They must be done using a USB Flash Drive (PowerFLARM Core) or microSD

memory card (PowerFLARM Portable). Once FLARM updates the software to

allow

flight log downloads through the serial port, then the Oudie will probably

be able to download flight logs from it - assuming they use the same

flight

log transfer protocol used by previous FLARM units

But why would you want to wait for several minutes for a flight log

download

through the serial port when using a memory device will get the job done

in

5 seconds? I recommend that you try using a memory card.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

____________________________

"Morteza Ansari" wrote in message

Per posts on the Naviter site, I thought this was supposed to be fixed and

working with the latest version of Oudie firmware (4.40). Though I am

still

getting the "external error (-9)" error when actually trying to download.

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:31:16 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi Tim,

The Oudie and V7 would work with the PowerFLARM for flight log

downloads,

except the PowerFLARM doesn't support that feature yet.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

Two comments/questions:

1. I had purchased a panel mount extension USB cable to allow me to plug

the

USB drive into the panel for upgrades and flight downloads. I didn't

think

anything about the cable type but after doing the install I can not

download

flights. I started looking at the cable and realized it is USB 3

(labeled

SSUSB with Blue tabs). I realized PowerFLARM did not work with USB 3

drive

but never thought about checking the extension cable type as well.

2. Will ConnectMe on an Oudie work with a PowerFLARM through a V7? I

can

see the serial number but it will not access the flights. Would be nice

if

we could use that in the future to download flights.

Also, to amplify a bit, with the latest display update you don't have to
recycle the power to copy the files. There's an item on the menu to
copy the IGC files. After you land, just plug in your flash drive and
twiddle the knob to get your flight!

Matt