Old October 16th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 6:34:59 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 9:49:09 PM UTC-4, Mike C wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 5:54:39 PM UTC-6, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 4:01:37 PM UTC-7, Brad wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 6:16:35 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

looking really good. the Tetra will need a fuselage face lift in the next few years. not a total gel/paint removal like you've done, but still a huge amount of labor.

Brad

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.

Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Hi Richard,

Thank you for documenting this.

Watching with interest, I may do the same this winter.

How smooth/even was the primer after rolling, much different than spraying? I rolled marine PU on a trailer and it flowed very nicely.

What will you be using as a color/top coat?

Thanks,

Mike Carris

Primer is rolled on to force it into the million pinholes left after sanding. If the first coats are sprayed many pinholes are bridged and show up again after the first sanding. How smooth it is doesn't matter too much.
UH

Thanks for telling me what does not matter to me. I had no idea!