Old November 15th 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Default Capacity flask tube length

At 14:11 15 November 2012, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 15.11.2012 12:28, dbrunone wrote:
I'm considering relocating my 0.45L capacity flask (for

the vario) from
behind the instrument panel to elsewhere in the

cockpit. I would have to
use maybe 6 or 7 feet of tubing to do that though...by

some quick
calculations, the extra tubing will make the 0.45L flask

effectively
almost 0.50L. Would this throw off my vario too much,

or will it matter?
Thanks

you could reduce the volume of the flask to compensate,

e.g. by putting
an adequately sized block of styrofoam into the flask.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

If it is a Winter flask I don't think it would be possible to
get the styrofoam in there.

A practical experiment with a 65" length of standard
instrument tubing, a measuring jar and water gives an
internal capacity of 29.7 mls for a 7 foot length. That
would add 6.6% to your capacity so all reading up and
down would be increased by that same amount. A 6 knot
thermal would read 6.4 knots. That wouldn't worry me.
The zero would remain the same. I would be more
concerned about making sure the tubing is fully supported
throughout its length.

John Galloway