Old January 31st 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

Default UPDATE Starter question

wrote in message
I've used the Battery Tender chargers and they work well,

They get my vote as well! particularly if you have a battery that you want
to leave on float for a long time without the slightest worry of overcharging.

but I am also
not surprised that a manufacturer of battery chargers gives a figure for
"fully charged" that probably makes many batteries tend to look
discharged.

Don't forget the "load testers" that automotive mechanics use. What they
do is test the internal resistance of the battery, which tends to increase
rapidly at end of battery life. A load tester is also good for testing your
battery connections. battery leads, and ground straps. That said, I prefer to
test battery connections and cables by putting a smaller load on the battery
(headlights, landing light) and probe across each connection and each cable with
a voltmeter set to the lowest scale. Any voltage drop over .1 volt bears
investigation.

Vaughn