Old February 11th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

Default Minimum Safe Altitude

The logic here still escapes me....soaring contest
organizers are to ask the FAA for a waiver...so that
an activity that the vast majority of pilots do not
choose to do, and consider unsafe...will be permitted?
Particularly in light of GPS scoring. I would love
to be the fly on the wall when one of our 'wormburner'
contingent comes up with his/her rationale to present
to the FAA.

As another data-point on this discussion....how does
the insurance company view the fatality in Great Britian?,
and for that matter...how would insurance cover a low-pass
accident that busted FAR's? I pay my premiums to cover
accidents that occured within pilots flying by FAR,
not for cowboys.

At 19:00 11 February 2007,
wrote:
On Feb 11, 1:16 pm, John Sinclair
wrote:
Kevin wrote................
Most US contest organizers know to apply for an FAA
waiver on this
issue. My understanding is that they are not that
hard to obtain.

Yes sir, Mr PSDO, we're having one of them gilder
contests
and we'd like to fly closer than 500 feet to folks
and things. Could we get a waiver for that? I understand
you give them all the time.
Also, after the guys get through flying low and fast
near folks, they do this maneuver not necessary for
normal flight, could we be gettin' a waiver for that
too?
Thank Youuu,
JJ

The FAA can issue waivers for all sorts of things.
Give them a call
and ask them, if you don't believe me.

2c