Old September 19th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default E6B for iPhone?

On 2007-09-19 09:38:50 -0700, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net said:

C J Campbell wrote:
The iPhone and iPod Touch have no way of downloading an application to
it -- you use web-based applications for them. The iPhone, of course
has both wi-fi and phone access to the Internet; the Touch has only
wi-fi. The browser on these devices allows you to keep several pages
open. Once open, you do not need Internet access unless the page needs
to be refreshed. There are thousands of web-based applications for the
iPhone available already, including DUATS, but no E6B. These apps,
BTW, work with any browser, not just an iPhone. The main difference
is that they are sized for the iPhone's screen.

It surprises me that no one has done an E6B yet. It seems a simple
enough application and there are web-based E6Bs already.

The answer is simple CJ. Get out your HTML coding book and get to work.

BTW. Have you gotten your second bill yet and if so is it still in multiple
envelopes, one big box or have they fixed that issue?

They fixed that. Actually, I have asked that they not send me a paper
bill at all; I read it on their web site.

The problem with the first month's bills was that every time the iPhone
refreshed a web page or accessed the Internet in any way, such as to
download the weather to the weather app, it generated another line on
the bill. It can get real addictive to press the Stocks and Weather
buttons every time you get out your iPhone, so it was a problem for
many people. The iPhone uses the Internet far more than most cell
phones. (In fact, there are pundits that claim that Apple and/or Google
are planning to create a phone service that is entirely based on wi-fi.
No cell towers talking directly to phones. You just chain a bunch of
wi-fi nodes everywhere. In theory, you could have better coverage than
current cell service. After all, I have wi-fi here in my home, but no
cell service.) You can now opt to just have a summary of Internet usage
on your bill, or no paper bill at all.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor