Old January 25th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ADS-B or just Mode S for class E airspace?

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:56:30 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry to start yet another ADS-B discussion, but I'm wondering about the value of it to a glider that doesn't fly in airspace that requires it. I have a Mode S transponder, so I believe I will continue to be 'visible' to both ATC and TCAS systems. (I am flying through some areas that are commonly used as approach corridors for a Bravo airpspace.)

ADS-B is supposed to increase the precision and allow ATC to route more aircraft in the same space. Am I wrong in thinking that it could be more advantageous to have only Mode S, and perhaps be given a bit more separation from inbound heavies?

Thanks,
-Greg

Greg,
I installed ADS-B out and fly right next to the Chicago B-airspace. Lots of GA traffic is skirting that big area on it's Western boundary, right where we fly. I want to be visible to those GA pilots, many of whom are getting ADS-B out but more importantly IN. ATC is way too busy to deal with us and we are normally not on an ATC frequency anyway. Jet traffic going into local business airports such as Aurora, DeKalb, Joliet, DuPage, Rockford are low and fast when flying next to us.
Herb