View Single Post
Old January 28th 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B or just Mode S for class E airspace?

I was flying wave southeast of Albuquerque today and decided to call
Approach to let them know I was there.Â* As soon as he heard my call
sign, he said, "Radar Contact".Â* My ADS-B Out transmits my N-number
among other things in the message.Â* Before the ADS-B installation, I
would have to squawk a discrete code after making contact before I would
be radar identified.Â* For the duration of the flight Approach vectored
airliners around me and gave me traffic reports.

On 1/27/2019 5:23 PM, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 6:25:37 AM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 12:51:52 AM UTC-5, Don Grillo wrote:
Greg, your mode S transponder will display your N number, your altitude, and your squawk on ATC radar, it will display your position and how high or low you are on TCAS equipped aircraft (ex. 2000 above or below) and it will display your position and altitude on ADS-B in equipped aircraft.

If you have flarm, you should be able to see ADS-B out equipped aircraft on your flarm display with a limited range of 5-6 miles. (Oudie, flarmview etc)

A Mode-S equipped glider without ADS-B OUT will only show up on ADS-B IN equipped aircraft if the glider is within ATC radar coverage AND if the other aircraft is ADS-B OUT equipped AND is within range on an ADS-B ground station.

If you are flying at relatively low altitudes in remote areas, neither of these conditions may be met. Equipping the glider with ADS-B OUT makes you visible to all dual frequency ADS-B IN equipped aircraft in your vicinity.

Remember that PowerFlarm equipped gliders will not see ADS-B OUT UAT equipped aircraft, so you are only seeing a subset of the traffic out there.

A interesting fact about adding ADS-B out is that it augments Flarm when you are using the Flarmnet database. You are broadcasting your Mode S hex code so when a Flarm in another ship receives the ADS-B signal from your ship it associates the hex code with your contest ID and displays it as such. It essentially makes your Flarm significantly more powerful. Pilots have reported seeing my contest ID at 50 miles +. It took a bit of thought on my part to understand how Flarm was that powerful. In fact it was ADS-B out with Flarmnet associating my hex code with my contest ID.

I am a fan of ADS-B out and have been very pleased with my installation. Like Herb mentioned about Chicago airspace, when flying out of Boulder we are regularly crossing DIA arriving and departing traffic.

Bob

--
Dan, 5J