View Single Post
Old May 14th 19, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Nearest near-miss?

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 9:47:45 AM UTC-7, wrote:
The Transponder chatter on other threads got me to thinking about who’s got the closest near-miss? Thought I’d kick it off with my incident over 40 years ago. I was flying my homebuilt wooden sailplane over Mono Lake, Ca. Cursing south at 16000’ and 60 knots when I spotted a 4 engine jet below and to my left. Our flight paths were going to intersect, but he was a good 500 feet below me. Two seconds later it became crystal clear that it wasn’t a 4 engine jet, it was a 4 pod jet with 8 engines and the B-52 was climbing fast! Too late for me to maneuver,I’m doing 60 and he’s doing maybe 360, and I didn’t want to throw my belly to him. I just sat there thinking I had a front row seat to my demise! As he passed just under my nose, I could clearly see the copilot reading his checklist! I’m sure they never saw me, but I sure as hell saw them! I figured the wake turbulence was going to tear my little Duster to bits, so I tightened up my parachute straps. Nothing! Guess the turbulence all went below and behind him. How far can you see a man reading a book? I’ll lay claim at 50 Feet!
Let’s hear your story,
JJ

I heard tell of a pilot flying a MD520N off the end of the map and through a jump zone. He looked up from trying to fold maps and recover from unusual attitude, to see a chute above the disk, on either side of aircraft and in chin bubble. Flew right through the middle of a load of jumpers.